Scholarships, Grants and Awards
The American University of Barbados, School of Medicine offers scholarships, grants and awards to selected students. Eligible students may earn merit based academic scholarships and awards or grants for community service and extracurricular activities.
All candidates seeking admission from May 2019 onwards are eligible to apply for any of the scholarships, grants and awards.
SCHOLARSHIPS ($4,000 - $20,000)
Scholarships are awarded to selected applicants who have demonstrated high academic achievements and have met the criteria for eligibility as established by the Scholarship Committee. All scholarships require recipients to maintain the specified GPA and successfully complete the program.
FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP - $4,000
Awarded to applicants with an undergraduate of GPA 3.0 or higher.
FACULTY'S SCHOLARSHIP - $8,000
Awarded to applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or higher.
DEAN'S SCHOLARSHIP - $12,000
Awarded to applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 3.50 or higher.
PRESIDENT'S SCHOLARSHIP - $16,000
Awarded to applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 3.75 or higher.
CHAIRMAN'S SCHOLARSHIP - $20,000
Awarded to applicants with an undergraduate GPA 3.8 or higher.
COMMUNITY SERVICE GRANT – UPTO $2,000
Qualified applicants may be awarded this grant if they have demonstrated leadership in community service nationally or internationally.
EXTRACURRICULAR & SPORTS GRANT – UPTO $2,000
This grant may be awarded to applicants demonstrating outstanding performance in sports or other extracurricular activities.
CARICOM STUDENT GRANT - $7,000
Eligibility is based on the citizenship of the Caricom nations. A grant of $7000 will be awarded to students who have proof of citizenship of a Caricom nation.
BARBADIAN GRANT - $10,000
Barbadian Grant of $10,000 is awarded to eligible Barbadian students having proof of citizenship. Hence students recieving this grant shall not be eligible for the Caricom student grant.
EXCELLENCE IN ACADEMICS - $2,000
An award of $2000 is given to any AUB student who scores 230 or above in the USMLE Step 1 examination in the first attempt and also to those who score 240 or above in USMLE Step 2 (CK/CS) examination in the first attempt.
AWARD FOR RESEARCH - $3,000
This award is given to the students who have published research articles, review articles, case reports, etc. in journals that are indexed in PubMed, Scopus, Index Copernicus, Index Medicus, Web of Science or other reputed and recognised indexing bodies.
GENERAL SCHOLARSHIP, GRANT AND AWARD POLICIES :-
- All scholarships, grants and awards are at the discretion of the committee and may be withdrawn or amended without prior notice.
- In any given intake, each scholarship and grant may be awarded to a limited number of qualifying students.
- Scores obtained in national pre-medical examinations (such as MCAT, NEET etc.) may also be considered for awarding scholarships.
- All scholarships, grants and awards are subject to verification of the documents submitted and may be revoked if supporting documents/credentials are found to be forged or fake.
- If a student on scholarship or grant leaves the institution before the completion of the MD program, he/she will no longer be eligible for the scholarship and will have to deposit full fee for the duration of their study at AUB.
- Students on scholarship or grants are expected to maintain a consistent academic performance and passing grades in all subjects throughout their study duration till the completion of their MD programme, in order to retain the scholarship or grants.
- Eligibility will be calculated on an undergraduate GPA (Grade Point Average) on a four-point scale.
- All figures are represented in US Dollars.